November 10, 2022

Burgundian halberdiers

Question - How many times can a unit be rebased?

Apparently the answer is currently three! Most of the models in this unit have been rebased three times. Originally they were based singly, and then were among my first units to be redone in the multi-base format. There were lots of them back then - some of the models here are actually among the first ever Perry Miniatures I painted about seven years ago. Over time the number of polearm troops grew until I could group them into I think five units of thirty. When I made the switch to a true historical project, they were re-organised into two large units. And I've now decided to reduce them further into one single unit of thirty. Why?

- Most of my German infantry should really be pikemen. Two over-large units of halberdiers didn't quite feel right. One small unit to accompany the larger pike blocks seems better.

- They look best in three ranks of ten, all in advancing/attacking poses, weapons at 45 degrees or lowered. I like the close-packed 'forest of polearms' look. There were only enough of the 45-degree poses for one unit (most of the unused ones had weapons shouldered).

- A lot of the ones I'd painted years back haven't held up alongside my more recent units, both in terms of painting and posing. I've chosen the best of the bunch for this one unit.

- I want this unit to definitely look German in its weaponry and armour, so have made sure they are mostly armed with halberds of various styles. A scattering of glaives, and no bills.

- I also carefully chose some of the less German-looking ones to use for the future French units.

So here they are - German halberdiers in the service of Burgundy. German infantry were hired in large numbers from 1477 onwards to help defend against the French invasion, and over the years Maximilian relied on them more and more.

They are of course mostly Perry Miniatures (all metals, no plastic), with a scattering of Wargames Foundry and Steel Fist. Many headswaps and other minor conversions.



No comments:

Post a Comment