November 19, 2023

I commissioned some miniatures!

Exciting news - I have commissioned a set of miniatures, and just a few days ago they arrived.

These were sculpted by the very talented Yannis from Talos Miniatures in Greece - you can follow his work on his Instagram page here. I'm not the only one who has commissioned sculpts from him - there are various other interesting late 15th century and early 16th century things he's working on. He also made the bodies released earlier this year by Steel Fist Miniatures, designed to be compatible with Perry plastic heads and arms. These were of course what gave me and others the idea of commissioning similar things. He was extremely easy to work with, and I'm pleased to say what we have here isn't the end of our collaboration!

They are cast in resin, which is actually something I haven't worked with before. It holds the detail very well, better than metal - I think I'm going to be enjoy working with and painting it.

What I wanted was more infantry equipped with polearms. I decided the best way to go was for full bodies with arms, empty-handed to accept various different weapons. We didn't do any heads, as of course I have a ton of spare plastic Perry heads to use with them. Separate heads would have been wonderful, but I decided for my budget to go for more bodies instead.

Yannis made several polearms - I wanted them mostly to be glaives of various shapes, which is what I got, plus a couple of more unusual weapons! You will notice something interesting about the polearms - they are cast in resin but with a thin metal rod inside to strengthen them. As you know, metal spears bend, and I didn't want resin weapons to bend or snap or anything like that. This way of doing it seems to make them really robust and strong. 

We also got separate sidearms - swords (including a couple of falchions/messers) and a few bucklers.

So here are the nine finished miniatures, combined with plastic Perry heads. 


Three are in front rank poses, and six are 'second-rankers'. Of course the idea is to mix these in with Perry miniatures (and other things) in large units, and I will be mixing the parts between the different ranges more than we see here - these polearms will also end up in Perry hands for example.

There's lots more I could say about them, but I think I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves!!!








I'll have a more detailed post about them in a week perhaps, and with a bit of luck I'll get some paint on them before Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely figures. I am pleased you are delighted with them. I look forward to seeing them with paint added.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete