April 05, 2023

A small update

I'm not working on any large units right now, for the first time in a while, so am taking the chance to paint up some little odds and ends that have been in the queue for some time.

Here's a few light cavalrymen which I've decided to base up individually. I originally planned to have two more units of mounted crossbowmen in standing poses, based like my other light cavalry, but changed my mind. Instead I'm going to be using them them as guards for the baggage train, or similar roles where they might just be set dressing rather than actually 'units'. I have several more like this in the queue. They are a good way to make use of the various horses in standing/walking poses from the metal Perry ranges.

The first two are both metal Perry 'scurrers', with headswaps and put on different horses. One has had his right hand replaced with a plastic crossbow hand. The other is empty-handed - I originally gave him a a crossbow slung from his belt, but I decided he worked better as just some sort of messenger or officer so I didn't reattach it after it broke off... 



The third one is a metal Italian crossbowman, but with a headswap making him Swiss or German. His horse is actually from the Perry Agincourt range.


I'd also like to mention a new product I've started using - AK Interactive Ultra Matt Varnish. I know I'm not the only one who has trouble getting matt varnishes to do what they say on the tin.... I've always used Winsor & Newton Professional Matt Varnish in a spray can, and it's USUALLY successful. But sometimes it just doesn't get things truly matt, especially on horseflesh for some reason - perhaps it's just more noticeable when it's a large expanse of one smooth colour? I've tried all sorts of different things, varying the number and thickness of coats, different spraying techniques, etc... Also tried the W&N brush-on equivalent but had zero success with that for some reason.

On a whim I ordered the AK Interactive Ultra Matt after seeing it recommended somewhere, and... it works! What I actually do now is my usual two coats of W&N spray, and then brush on the AK Interactive on spots where things still look a little too satin. It works, and also dries very quickly. I've even gone back to some older units and quickly slapped the AK onto some troublesome bits of satin-like horseflesh - instant success! 

Nothing enhances the look of a carefully painted figure better than having it truly matted down, in my opinion. Once I've finished painting, the different colours all have varying degrees of glossiness. That final matt varnish layer is what finishes it off and pulls it all together, and suddenly makes it look good after too many hours of working on it. I can't get my head around it when people claim they don't varnish, or prefer a glossy look!!!

So yeah, I recommend this product.

1 comment: